This job is title is Program and Communications Manager — because that’s the closest approximation we could find — but really this position is about so much more. An ideal candidate (could it be you?) is somebody who’s willing to be bold about what’s possible for MLP’s programs and communications in the future. We want creativity, collaboration and — above all else — somebody who wants to dive in and make this job their own.
The movement for LGBTQ inclusion in the church and world is in an exciting place right now, we are working on equipping our individuals and congregations to live into LGBTQ welcome through our signature programs: the More Light Teach Ins, the Ambassador program, and through our communications as a tool to inspire action. Everything this position does is vital to help More Light Presbyterians lead the LGBTQ faith movement, shape the conversation, and set the course for the coming years.
This is a full-time, remote-work position, so you’ll need to be comfortable working with your colleagues over collaborative platforms: google drive, zoom, slack, or at least willing to learn. One thing to note is that MLP doesn’t expect the ideal candidate to have all of the qualifications listed here. (But if you’re a unicorn and you, in fact, do have all of these then by all means please apply immediately if not sooner.) We’re more interested in somebody who has some of these qualifications but is willing to learn the others they’re lacking. We want somebody who’s going to work hard, be a team player and show real passion for our mission. MLP is dedicated to leadership development, and if you have some but not all of these qualifications, apply anyway! We can make sure you get the training you need along the way.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and run the More Light Ambassadors program
- Recruit key organizers to participate in the ongoing activities of More Light
- Build a nationwide base of trained and prepared spokespeople, trainers, and leaders for the movement.
- Facilitate regular opportunities for Ambassadors to connect with the work of MLP
- Grow and Manage the More Light Teach-In Program
- Brainstorm and develop Teach-In Series Key themes
- Recruit additional subject-matter experts and facilitate their participation in the Teach-In
- Run the MLP Networking Facebook group
- Advertise and administer the Teach-In registrations
- Edit and post videos of the Teach-Ins to the MLP website
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, and MLP staff to create and implement integrated communications strategy that reinforces key messages consistently across communications channels.
- Develop opportunities for media exposure for MLP
- Oversee website content creation and monitor for accuracy, up-to-date news, active links, and consistency across organizational pages.
- Expand MLP’s resource offerings
- Build and manage MLP’s online presence and audience.
- Create, schedule, and monitor social media content including Facebook and Twitter.
- Create regular (at least monthly) email blasts including identifying and soliciting content, writing, and formatting text and photos.
- Maintain and update MLP’s databases
- Perform other duties as required to advance assigned projects and the overall work of More Light.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to frame issues for specific audiences (Presbyterian and secular)
- Written, oral, interpersonal, spiritual and presentation skills and the desire to build relationships with clergy, ministry staff, and congregants
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with a wide array of people
- Critical thinker and problem solver who is both a relational and results-oriented organizer
- Eagerness to learn new skills, ability to deliver outcomes within time limitations
- Well-organized with effective time-management skills
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive: a team leader who can effectively implement both strategic and tactical actions and events
- Broad knowledge of relevant software, network management and social networking processes, including MS Office, Google docs and google apps, WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, Zoom, Instagram, etc.
- Strong organizational skills required to manage multiple fast-paced projects simultaneously
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite software (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign), Final Cut Pro or iMovie a plus
This is a full-time, remote work position which reports to the Executive Director. The position includes a health-care reimbursement, 10 days of vacation and official holidays.
MLP is committed to diversity in employment. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. MLP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, gender identity and expression, sex, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability including HIV status, family responsibilities, marital status, physical appearance, political affiliation, union membership, veteran status or other unlawful factors, with respect to recruiting, hiring, job assignment, promotion, discipline, discharge, compensation, training and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
Applications will be accepted through May 31, 2017. Interviews will begin following the application deadline.