Visible, tangible welcome for LGBTQ persons isn’t just a Gospel imperative, it’s an incredible tool for evangelism. There has never been a better time to become a More Light church. While many strides have been made for LGBTQ inclusion and rights, too many LGBTQ people do not feel they have a place to worship. Though welcome for all God’s children might seem obvious within your congregation, do others outside of your walls know of your commitment and support for LGBTQ persons in the church? Becoming More Light is a great way to ensure people in your community know your congregation or group is a welcoming and affirming place to encounter God.
How To Become A More Light Church Or Group In Three Steps:
1: To become a More Light Church or campus group, your session, or group leadership will need to formally vote to endorse the mission statement of More Light Presbyterians.
Following the risen Christ, and seeking to make the Church a true community of hospitality, the mission of More Light Presbyterians is to work for the full participation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) people in the life, ministry and witness of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and in society.
(It is not necessary for a separate statement to be created to become a More Light church, although some Sessions or groups decide to write an additional statement beyond affirmation of the MLP mission statement. Each session must decide how to live out the call to be More Light.)
2: Fill out the “Join as Church” form by clicking the button below. Also, encourage individual members to join MLP to stay up to date on news and events, by becoming members of More Light here.
3: Once you submit your form, you will sent an email with details on how to make your congregation’s $200 membership contribution electronically.
You can also mail your contribution to More Light at: PMB 246, 4737 County Road 101, Minnetonka, MN 55345. Each gift furthers our ability to resource congregations exploring welcome. Though the minimum gift is $200 congregation is welcome to contribute more!
- Your church becomes part of a national community of hope and equality.
- We’ll post an announcement and celebration of your new More Light status on our blog and social media.
- One of our staff-members will follow up about additional resources you might need.
- We list your church on our map and directory of More Light Churches.
- You may use MLP logos and banners as part of your congregation communications.
- Consider joining one of our networking groups on key issue areas to help your congregation further their welcome.
Why Become More Light?
Check out what some of our churches and campus groups had to say:
- “Our UKirk group came into existence because there was a need for an open and affirming campus ministry on our campus. We wanted to provide a place where students were ‘challenged and encouraged to explore what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ in the context of the 21st century.’ We have vowed to be intentionally LGBTQ inclusive in our ministry on campus.”
- “Having witnessed both the enormous strides made towards equality in the last 10 years, and the disconcerting backlash, we now feel called to deepen our commitment to inclusion. We believe that becoming a “More Light Church” will be an important step in this journey.”