Communications Director (part-time)
This job is title is “Communications Director” — because that’s the closest approximation we could find — but really this position is about so much more. An ideal candidate (could it be you?) is somebody who’s willing to be bold about what’s possible for MLP’s communications in the future. We want creativity, collaboration and — above all else — somebody who wants to dive in and make this job their own. The movement for LGBTQ inclusion in the church and world is in an exciting place right now. We are in the process of achieving marriage equality in the PC(USA) as we are working on expanding our welcoming congregations. More Light Presbyterians is leading this movement, shaping the conversation and setting the course for the coming years. Everything this position does is vital to this effort.
One thing to note is that MLP doesn’t expect the ideal candidate to have all of the qualifications listed here. (But if you’re a unicorn and you, in fact, do have all of these then by all means please apply immediately if not sooner.) We’re more interested in somebody who has some of these qualifications but is willing to learn the others they’re lacking. We want somebody who’s going to work hard, be a team player and show real passion for our mission. MLP is dedicated to leadership development and if you have some but not all of these qualifications, apply anyway! We can make sure you get the training you need along the way.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to create and implement integrated communications strategy that reinforces key messages consistently across communications channels.
- Develop opportunities for media exposure for MLP, via press releases, advertising and coverage of events
- Co-Convene with MLP Board point person the Editorial Board blogger team.
- Create, schedule, and monitor social media content including Facebook and Twitter.
- Create bi-weekly e-newsletters including identifying and soliciting content, writing, and formatting text and photos.
- Oversee website content creation and monitor for accuracy, up-to-date news, active links, and consistency across organizational pages.
- Coordinate the production, printing, and distribution of MLP mass mailings including the More Light Update, quarterly appeal letters, and other documents as requested.
- Manage registrations for MLP’s bi-annual National Conference, General Assembly events, and smaller events. Create registration forms and documents as needed to assist Board members in managing conferences and events.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to frame issues for specific audiences (Presbyterian and secular)
- Broad knowledge of relevant software, network management and social networking processes, including MS Office, Google docs and google apps, wordpress, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.
- Strong organizational skills required to manage multiple fast-paced projects simultaneously
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite software (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) or Final Cut Pro or iMovie a plus
Reports to: MLP Executive Director
Location: MLP’s Executive Director is based in Washington, DC, but MLP operates a virtual office, collaborating online. You can do this position from anywhere with a solid internet connection.
To apply, please click here: http://bit.ly/MLPcomms to submit your application, resume, cover letter, and 2-3 writing samples. If you have managed a twitter handle or facebook page please provide a screen shot of your most successful work. The application period is open until August 3.