Director of Christian Education, Forest Hill Church, Cleveland Heights, OH
Forest Hill Church, Presbyterian is a progressive congregation in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. We seek to be a safe, nurturing place to experience spiritual growth and work for change as part of a supportive inclusive community. We believe that God is Love, that each and every person is a beloved child of God, and that following Jesus Christ is the best way for us to share that Love with others and ourselves.
Forest Hill Church is committed to diversity. We are a More Light Congregation. Our mission is focused on racial integration and inclusion. We focus on the balance between justice and charity and are committed to both.
Description: The Director of Christian Education will work with the Ministry of Family, Youth and Children (FYC) to oversee our Christian education programs. This position will report to the Co-Pastors and ultimately to Session through its Personnel Committee.
This position is a full-time exempt position.
Nursery (Infants/children birth to age 2)
- Supervise and schedule nursery staff care of infants and toddlers on Sunday mornings and special events/programs
- Schedule parent support of nursery
Pre-School Program (Children ages 3-5)
- Oversee planning and execution of Godly Play curriculum for 3-5-year olds
- Organize, order and manage materials, including snacks, for lessons and set up classroom
Pathways Program (School age children grades 1-5)
- Coordinate monthly rotation of worship, Bible study and activities
- Oversee long-term curriculum evaluation and implementation for Pathways children
- Communicate with adult leaders in our congregation who work with children to manage volunteers and curriculum
Youth Education (Children in grades 6-12)
- Plan and lead middle school and high school youth groups
- Oversee long-term curriculum development for middle school and for senior high
- Organize volunteers and equip them with resources and training to teach weekly Christian education classes
- Equip adult leaders in our congregation who work with youth to organize monthly fellowship events/activities
- Engage in outreach to the community
- Participate in weekly staff meeting
- Provide communication and information to the church office for congregational distribution
- Communicate with families, youth and staff regarding programming and activities, including creating and posting signage for programs
- Collaborate with other local Presbyterian churches for mission, fellowship and educational opportunities
- Conduct teacher training
- Implement our Child and Youth Protection Policy and conduct Child Protection Policy Training for volunteers
- Coordinate seasonal programming with the Music Director
- Assist with Family Christmas Eve service with program staff
- Collaborate with FYC ministry members to manage our Children’s Library
Qualifications, Gifts and Skills:
- Be a committed Christian with a passion for Christian Education
- Have a deep love for children of all ages, and be comfortable with a progressive, inclusive and diverse congregation
- Have sufficient training and experience to nurture our families, children and youth
- Be committed to building a strong volunteer base, and able to work collaboratively, effectively, and confidentially with families, church members, pastors, and church staff
Preferred education: Certificate of Christian Education or similar certificate; Bachelor’s degree education, child development, ministry, or theology
Hours of Employment: Full time exempt. Attendance on Sundays is required
Compensation: We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package
Contact: Send cover letter, resume, and names/contact information of three references to Forest Hill Church DCE Search Committee, ℅ Lia Clement at the following email address: email@example.com
A background check paid for by Forest Hill Church is a condition of employment.
Forest Hill Church, Presbyterian is an equal opportunity employer.