Whether you are looking to learn how to begin a conversation on a visible welcome for LGBTQ persons in your church, are interested in increasing your community’s capacity for transgender inclusion, or are discerning how to life more fully into your congregation’s abundant inclusion, our workshops are useful tools to help you take the next steps in your journey of welcome. More Light hosts individual educational workshops to teach current, new, and prospective members of its welcoming network about the realities facing LGBTQ individuals, and how to address them from a faith perspective. If a workshop looks like a good fit for your congregation, be sure to contact us here to find a time for a More Light staff-member to come visit your community.
- Building an Inclusive Church Training is a two-day workshop that provides a structured path for faith communities to explore and embrace welcoming policies at the congregational level. The training is based on the ecumenical Building an Inclusive Church toolkit available for a free download here. The Toolkit draws upon 30 years of experience within a variety of Christian denominations and is biblically and theologically rooted. It uses tools of relational organizing, congregational assessment, conflict management and change theory. Participants emerge with concrete skills to begin a conversation on full inclusion that positions LGBTQ inclusion as an opportunity to unite a faith community, not divide it.
- Connecting the Dots Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation is a 90 minute workshop that helps participants increase familiarity with and comfort in discussing the nuances of LGBTQ identities, with a particular emphasis on transgender and gender nonconforming identities. Wish there was a better way to talk about gender identity and sexual orientation that doesn’t segment people into categories but unites us all in a journey of discovery and expression, then this workshop is for you! This workshop will inspire new ways of thinking and teaching others about gender and sexuality.
- “We’re Welcoming, Now What?” workshop is an interactive 90 minute exercise in discernment for congregations on how to live more deeply into welcome and abundant inclusion for LGBTQ persons. Identifying as a welcoming church is just the beginning of a commitment to follow God’s call to welcome all.
But don’t take our word for it! Here’s what participants have said after attending these workshops.
- “I wanted to tell you how much we appreciated your preaching, presentation, and conversation with us last week. I have had the most wonderful feedback from staff, students, and faculty. One staff member said that your thoughtful, articulate, and sometimes humorous presentation has given him a much better understanding of Trans* issues and has, actually, made him more comfortable engaging those who appear different than himself. I would call that a huge success!”
- “You were a real blessing to us. Your sermon was brilliant–informative, edifying and inspirational. Just right.”
- “Your presence with us at SPC this past Sunday was without any doubt at all, transformative.”
- “The Connecting the Dots training was very thoughtfully planned and very helpful. Covered many things that were needed to be discussed and helped clarify things for allies in our work.”
- “The presentation was deceptively simple, but profound.”