Do you have a passion for social justice and are fired up to fight back against discriminatory legislation and work for bills that will expand protections for LGBTQ lives? Join us as an Advocacy ambassador. We need your eyes, ears and passion to ensure people of faith to challenge a religious narrative that has positioned Christianity against the rights and equality of LGBTQ people.
As an Advocacy Ambassador you will work with us to mobilize MLP members and congregations to participate in public education and advocacy events such as roundtables, trainings, rallies, letter writing campaigns, op-ed campaigns, and news conferences.
What Does an Advocacy Ambassador Do?
- Mobilize MLP members and congregations to participate in public education and advocacy events such as roundtables, trainings, rallies, letter writing campaigns, op-ed campaigns, and news conferences
- Prepare MLP members to write op-eds, letters to the editor, or participate press conferences
- Represent MLP in op-eds, letters to the editor, or press conferences
- Implement advocacy campaigns on MLP policy and program priorities in coordination with MLP staff, partner organizations, and other Advocacy Ambassadors
- Assist in tracking policy developments for assigned local government(s) with relevance to LGBTQ equal rights
- Assist local MLP members, congregations, and others in organizing advocacy efforts for LGBTQ equality or other MLP priorities
- Notify MLP staff of relevant actions, so that Action Alerts can be sent to MLP supporters
- Monthly conference call with Lead Advocacy Ambassador and regional advocacy team
Meet an Advocacy Ambassador
Taylor Lewis Guthrie Hartman: Taylor serves Westminster Presbyterian Church in Durham, NC as the Associate Pastor for Youth Ministry. She’s been there since August 2011. Prior to that, she has served churches in Boston and Cambridge, The Academy of Preachers, and Montreat Conference Center in several different capacities. Taylor is a graduate of Washington University in St Louis and Harvard Divinity School. Her hobbies include film and digital photography, attempts at sewing, and fits and starts with yoga.