“Welcome, we are so glad you are here!”
As we enter our churches, as we live as members, as we experience important life-cycle events (falling in love, marrying, having children, baptism, confirmation, coming out, transitioning, etc.), these words of welcome and the concurrent atmosphere of support, understanding and love are what we all long for. This manifestation of God’s Extravagant Welcome and the justice and societal witness that accompany it are the heart of what we hope to facilitate with Building an Inclusive Church: A Welcoming Toolkit. It is, at once, a critical goal for it calls upon the very core of the Christian gospel, and a goal that requires prayerful, conscious and faithful action.
All Resources (Alphabetical)
- A Time to Embrace: Same-Gender Relationships in Religion, Law, and Politics (study guide) (pdf) by William Stacy Johnson
- And God Loves Each One: A Resource for Dialogue about Sexual Orientation by Ann Thompson Cook is a catalyst for a new conversation about sexual orientation in churches and communities. Also available in Spanish.
- Building an Inclusive Church: A Welcoming Toolkit (pdf) by the Institute for Welcoming Resources
- Gender Identity and Our Faith Communities is a congregational guide for transgender advocacy from the Human Rights Campaign
- Institute of Welcoming Resources
- Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church (study guide) (pdf) by Jack Rodgers
- Journey of a Marriage Equality Overture (pdf) A great way to teach the basics of Presbyterian Church polity
- Made in God’s Image: A Resource for Dialogue about Gender Diversity by Ann Thompson Cook answers basic questions about gender variance as well as transgender and intersex people and their experiences
- Ordination Guide: So That G-2.0104 Shall Be a Blessing for our Church and World
- Our Whole Lives Lifespan Sexuality Education Curricula is a comprehensive, Kindergarten through adult sexuality education curriculum produced by the United Church of Christ and Unitarian Universalist Association.
- transACTION (leaders guide) (pdf) is a transgender curriculum for churches and religious institutions from the Institute of Welcoming Resources
- transACTION (participant guide) (pdf) is a transgender curriculum for churches and religious institutions from the Institute of Welcoming Resources