“I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes beheld my unformed substance. In your book were written all the days that were formed for me, when none of them as yet existed.” ~Psalm 139:14-16
This week is Transgender Awareness Week culminating in Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR) on Tuesday, November 20th. Each day leading up to Transgender Day of Remembrance, MLP will share a story from I AM: Trans People Speak, a project of the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition. We encourage you to listen to these beautiful stories each day (watch our Facebook Page each day).
The mission of I AM: Trans People Speak is “to raise awareness about the diversity that exists within transgender communities. It gives a voice to transgender individuals, as well as their families, friends, and allies.”
This project will allow transgender people, family members, friends, and allies to:
- Empower themselves through sharing their own stories and speaking for themselves
- Be visible by participating in a nation-wide project
- Show the diversity of backgrounds and experiences that exist within trans communities
- Provide a forum to learn about, connect with, and find support through the stories of other community members
- Educate the public about the reality of transgender peoples lives and the unique challenges they face due to pervasive bias, stereotypes, and misunderstanding.
Here are two stories from Raffi and Lucas to start Transgender Awareness Week.