This year’s More Light Sunday is the first Sunday of June: June 7th. We use this Sunday to reflect on the past year and lean toward our future together to create a more robust welcome for LGBTQ persons within the Presbyterian Church (USA).
We have seen an overwhelming reality of abundance this year in the ratification campaign of 14F, the ways that marriage equality continues to grow across the nation, and the coalition work MLP is doing for intersectional justice. We are working to continue to grow our table of justice-making and make certain that our deepest posture of welcome is one that is rooted in a sense of justice for all. With that in mind, we’ve chosen the following text as a recommended preaching text for More Light Sunday and have included some songs that help illustrate an overwhelming sense of abundance. Our hope is that your congregation will see these as a resource for celebrating the great achievements within the PC (USA) and our work together as faithful More Light Presbyterians.
- Preaching text: Romans 8:12-25
- Theme: Abundance
- Great Is Thy Faithfulness
- There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy
- How Great Thou Art
- Here I Am Lord (is it I Lord?)
- God of Grace and God of Glory
- God of the Sparrow God of the Whale (how does the creature say Awe)
- For Everyone Born (add the Methodist verse).